[SpeedGrader] Support for .java files.

Problem statement:

I have been using Canvas and SpeedGrader to grade *.java files for the past 2 years. The files are essentially text files with a different extension. If the submission used a *.txt file, then it would render correctly. However since students are in a Computer Science class they need to write code that can be compiled in an IDE, thus the need for a *.java extension. However, I really don't understand why SpeedGrader has worked for 2 years and now it doesn't.

Proposed solution:

Support *.java files using the process as is currently being used to render *.txt files in SpeedGrader.

User role(s):

instructor,student

Added to Theme

3 Comments
TamasBalogh
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi @fhcsmith, can you please share some specifics about the assignment type? Are you grading file upload Assignments?

fhcsmith
Community Member
Author

I have students upload text documents that have the file extension .java because they are java programs (I'm teaching computer science).  I just want to read their text in their submissions.  I have been able to do that for 2 years, but about mid-March this year Canvas no longer renders their submission so I have to download the files.  

The submission type is "Online" and I have checked "File Uploads".  

I would like to read the text stored in the upload submission in Speed Grader.

SamGarza1
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme