Support for Right to Left Languages - e.g. Hebrew and Arabic - resubmitted

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

While the rich content editor supports the right to left alignment pretty well, the layout design of the basic page doesn't. This results in a weird alignment of vertical navigation lists and the alignments of paragraphs. It also distorts sentences that combine English words or characters, which is even more crucial as it makes some sentences hard to understand.

We would appreciate also the support of the 'regular' language speakers with your vote. Count us in

I attached example of both issues: Areas that are LTR which would be better that will be RTL, and mixed wording that goes wrong.

(This idea is a re-submission Support for Right to Left Languages - e.g. Hebrew and Arabic We would appreciate our former supporters to also support us in this call)

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14712-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-06-02 .

45 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

207463_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

zshilor
Community Novice
Author

This time the feature was more than half way through. Thank you all the supporters. I didn't lose hope though and will retry when I am sure I have more than 100 voters. Smiley Happy

zshilor
Community Novice
Author

Thank you for the opportunity to present my feature twice. When time comes where there will be sure 150 voters I will retry. I didn't lose hope yet. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Ze'ev

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process. It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

zshilor
Community Novice
Author

This is excellent news because we are planning to launch during April our 4 courses in Hebrew, some of them with a translation to  Arabic. Technically, we already have over 70 votes because there were 10 more votes in the first round that can be added to the count.
However, if we still need 5 more votes, the current request is on hold so how can people add their vote to the count?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@zshilor , the idea will reopen on March 1, and any new votes after that date will augment the existing vote total. Please refer to https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/blog/2017/02/17/flipping-the-switch-on-canvas-featur... 

zshilor
Community Novice
Author

I am going to turn the world upside down (I mean right to left) in order to get the missing 35 votes Smiley Happy

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Ah, but the threshold is no longer 100 votes,  @zshilor ‌.

varde_1
Community Novice

Great job Andy!!

zshilor
Community Novice
Author

.Who said that miracles don't happen? The first time I posted the request it got 10 votes. 
I convinced the team that it deserves a second round to get that time 65 which was pretty nice but far away from the threshold of 100. So I lost hope.
In this round the team decided to reopen the 70+, with an opening for special cases that were almost there. So the request got yet another chance.
While pondering over strategies to double the number, I noticed after 2 days a new number: 72.
After another 3 days, 94.
  Other than a miracle, what can this be called?