[Syllabus] Add Syllabus Page History

We would really like to see the Syllabus page have page history so that instructors who spend hours on it, and then delete it accidentally, can get it back.  Other pages/modules have this feature, but not this page.

Here is text from our most recent support ticket on this:

I simply copied a table and added it to the end of the syllabus at the end of 'attendance' and clicked update.

I'm then taken back to the course main page, and the syllabus is gone. Is it possible to restore the course from an earlier period? This is a major problem and I suspect it may be a technical issue. I'd be the first to admit I screwed up, but it was a simple edit.

We have to explain to this stressed out instructor or admin (and many others before her) that all the time she spent with HTML and CSS making this the best syllabus ever is now a loss. No way to get it back.

Added to Theme

Save Admins Time and Clicks Theme Status: Identified

33 Comments
DaniMcCauley
Community Member

+1 vote for the addition of revision history on the syllabus from a frustrated Instructional Designer.  Can the page just somehow be listed with the other "View all pages"?

jpg5924
Community Member

I'm surprised to see this is still open for conversation. I agree with all of the comments above. This is an essential feature that still does not exist. Are there any reasons NOT to have a history for the Syllabus? 

PerryAlbert
Community Novice

+1000 to this; this should be an essential feature that would be a huge time saver in the case of user error. 

kpk9
Community Member

Please add this! It is a crucial, needed feature. Anything that can save time should be a priority, especially in this day and age. 

dwilliams8
Community Explorer

Refreshing the conversation here --- this would be a great add to the Syllabus tool.  Will save a lot of heartache for instructors that lose their syllabus work. 

cfleming
Community Explorer

Each and every Canvas course site I work on I have at least one occasion that this would be helpful. 

cfleming
Community Explorer

A few minutes go we got burned by this again. Two of us were editing and overwrote syllabus edits. We thought we were being careful but the syllabus uses cached content it appears instead of checking for edits saved by someone else first.

mswindle
Community Participant

Please implement this.  It is so needed for all the reasons already covered in these comments.

dspiel
Community Participant

Even if it was only 2-5 previously saved would be helpful.  Doesn't have to be all.

mswindle
Community Participant

This feature is sorely needed.  The inability of instructors to restore changes lost and overwritten syllabus content is a problem every semester.  Additionally, I would second the comments about institutional recordkeeping and compliance.