Take a Photo and Submit

Much like the Media Recorder, I am requesting that students be able to take a picture and upload it right in the web browser. I work primarily with Elementary students and this would be a great feature for our younger learners.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2021-03-20)

31 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cmgardner ‌

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for broad discussion, you might also be interested in this related idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15957-document-scanner 

Ila
Community Novice

YES!! We need this desperately for Kindergarten! I am having a hard time showing my Kinders where to find their pictures and upload them (and uploading the correct one) off of their device. THIS IS HUGE and would be a GAME CHANGER for lower elementary! Please, PLEASE work on this!

@Stef_retired @cmgardner 

michelle_nunale
Community Member

I would love this, too. I am a middle school science teacher and like to have my students sketch then submit a photo of their work. My students have Chromebooks, and it is tricky for them to navigate the multistep process of taking a photo and then uploading to Canvas. I would love for them to be able to take a photo right from the Canvas assignment submission box! 

bryan_tayman
Community Explorer

This would be very helpful for art teachers who want students to submit a snapshot of their artwork!!    Please consider ASAP.  The feature is already in use when you update your Account profile picture.

horton93
Community Member

This would be extremely helpful!!! 

LindsayWatts
Community Member

This is essential for lower elementary where we do a lot of pencil-to-paper work, but need the students to submit a photo of what they have done.

jsmcelhany
Community Novice

I too want to recommend that Canvas add a camera feature so that students can use their Chromebook devices to take a picture right within a Canvas Assignment or Discussion Board. This is crucial for distance learning in a project-based course. It is very difficult for middle school students to navigate the multi-step process of using another app to take a picture, download and save it to their computer, and then upload it into Canvas. Not all students have the luxury of having a personal device to take photos, so they rely on their school computer. 

abutler33
Community Explorer

Yes, please add this!  Uploading a photo is way too many steps for little kids. I have just been using the video option because it is so much easier, but I would like to have them just take a still shot instead of a whole video.

ap522333
Community Member

Yes please, add this tool!

beth_adler
Community Member

Yes!!!!  Please allow the camera to take a still picture.  I can't grade movies of workbook pages.  And it would be much simpler for my young students using Chromebooks.  As it is now, they have to go outside of Canvas, use the camera tool or have a parent take a picture, save it to the computer, and then upload the file into Canvas.  This is way too much for a third grader!