Teacher Integration with Google Drive

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

As we are just beginning the process of working with Canvas, I was surprised that there isn't a seamless integration with Google Drive and Canvas. It would be awesome to have that capability! Because we are a GAFE school and teachers store created files in the cloud, downloading them locally creates a serious problem and extra steps that make uploading files into Canvas tedious and time consuming. Is there anyway this feature can be added?  Thanks!

Comments from Instructure...

Canvas Release: Google Apps LTI

37 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Can you clarify this idea a bit further since there are a few places that Canvas integrates with Google? For example, there's the collaborations​ tool and the ability to embed Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content​ (also see How do I embed a dynamic Google document into the Rich Content Editor?​)

Are you referring to having Google Drive show up in the Content Selector in the Rich Content Editor?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Deactivated user​

Can you help clarify so that we can consider this item for moving forward for voting- referring to  @biray ​ questions above.

Thank you.

dhinkel
Community Novice

I can't speak for Kate, but I was surprised while testing as an instructor that I wasn't able to directly add assignment materials from my Google Drive. I am in IT, but do as much testing as I can with a teacher/instructor in mind as we are new to Canvas and haven't started training our staff yet. I know this will be a question that I will be asked repeatedly as the staff that are early adopters are using Google Drive to some extent.

kschatz
Community Novice

I did look at the link you attached (thank you!) and think that we can get to our Google Docs that way, but what I was questioning was importing files into Canvas that we can then use as our resources when adding material to the modules. I have not had any formal training yet so I felt like I might be totally lost, but when I was trying to import content to test some things, I hit a dead end when trying to access my google docs (where we now store most everything as our local storage is near capacity). When I sent a question into Canvas, I was told: "In regards to uploading your content from Google Docs unfortunately the only way to upload them into a course would be to download them into the computer from Google Drive then upload them to Canvas. Canvas and Google Docs at this time cannot automatically share files..."  So, that is from where my question originated. I would love to be able to train my teachers in 2 weeks that they can select to "import" files and have their Google Drive as a source from which to pull.  Hope this helps!  Thanks! 

kschatz
Community Novice

Please see my above reply=)  Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you Deactivated user​

That helps a lot, and it fits with what I was pretty sure you were looking for.

When building courses, I too felt like it would be nice to see all of my Google Drive Files when I was adding content - similar to the way students see their Google Drive files when they submit an assignment.

corey_jeffers
Community Novice

This is one that is a must for K-12 with so many schools who have gone GAFE and using Chromebooks. I'm awaiting this one anxiously.

david_gundlach
Community Novice

This is a critical application for K-12 schools.  The vast majority are using GAFE and using Chromebooks.  Please test with chromebooks as those are the #1 device used by students in schools.

lexi_samorano
Community Novice

My teachers were just asking me about this. This is a must since my district has Chromebooks and is also a GAFE district. It is hard to convince teachers to move away from Google Classroom.

corey_jeffers
Community Novice

@lexi_samorano  Agreed! It works the speedgrader assessment piece is probably the best way to sell them, but I really wish the distribution end were a little better. I'm not even expecting it to send copies to students like Google Classroom or Doctopus. I just want to be able to access a Google Drive interface from within the Rich Content Editor. Hopefully soon!