The ability to edit Global Announcements

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5 - August 5 Learn more about voting...

It would be nice to also be able to edit a Global Announcement.  Currently If you mess up, you have to recreate the announcement instead of just going in and editing the misspelled word.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-02)

71 Comments
cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Global Announcements do not send a notification. They are currently only seen on the Dashboard when you enter the LMS.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

And, "edit" can mean a lot. Right now, if you set a Global Announcement to go live say Friday at 4pm and before Friday want to make a change, you cannot. You must delete the Global Announcement and recreate it even if all you want to do is release it a day earlier or fix a small typo or coding issue (as there is also no preview).

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I think you bring up a good point.  What if a Global Announcement needs to be edited, and someone has already clicked the "x" to remove it from his/her Dashboard view?  Does it get re-posted for that user after the announcement has been updated?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Two things I don't love about Global Announcements: (1) the user doesn't see a created or posted date (no date at all, in fact) for the announcement displayed on the dashboard; and (2) as cms_hickss​ mentioned, no notification of the global announcement is sent. As a teacher, I navigate to my courses by bookmarking course home pages and accessing them directly from there so that I can bypass the dashboard, and as a result, I've missed global announcements countless times. Many many other teachers and countless students might miss them as well.

I found this feature idea about notifications for Global Announcements:

I couldn't find an existing feature idea requesting a date displayed on Global Announcements. Given that most everyone participating in this discussion about global announcements is almost assuredly an admin, I'll put it to you: Would you find it helpful if I were to create a new feature idea requesting an option for a date to be displayed on a global announcement?

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I would support that Feature Idea, stefaniesanders​.  Smiley Happy

zowada-a
Community Participant

I would support that as well 🙂

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

I just voted for " modifiedtitle="true" title="Global announcements should generate notifications​, so thank you for that.

And, I to would support a feature idea that shows the start/posted date and the termination/end date of a global announcement to the system's users.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

OK, I take these three comments as unanimous acclaim! Smiley Happy I've just created a feature idea, so please bookmark it to vote it up should it be approved for the voting cycle:

ejackson
Community Champion

We just had an issue this morning where we posted a Global Announcement, and one tiny little thing needed 'tweaked' - - which of course was not possible because they can't be edited. It wasn't a huge deal to recreate it, but it would have been so much easier if we could have just edited out the one little thing that needed changed. When this  feature gets updated it will be SO nice!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Follow Canvas Studio: Global Announcements for information on the changes coming to global announcements