[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

350 Comments
EEE1
Community Member

We should add Dark Mode so if your doing it at home and dont want to get in trouble if your up late making to much light then add thiss making everything black and the letters white to help others at home

EEE1
Community Member

If you were to add the dark mode then it would help a lot

jacob_waldon
Community Explorer

helpful  on the eyes (dark mode) and its creative most the time (account picture)

KYEHOUSDEN
Community Member

p yes add

gmansell
Community Novice

Please add Dark Mode to canvas, it will take an absolute ton of strain off the eyes of students staying up late studying. Many major websites have this by now, for example, Google, Amazon, YouTube, and the school email as well.

I believe it would make a much needed improvement to canvas, from what I've heard from friends in the field is that it's fairy straightforward and easy to develop. 

benduttlinger
Community Novice

I've talked to many users, and they have all loved the idea of dark mode for the application. It would help with concentration for students who are working after dark, where the bright white screen is distracting and often can start to hurt the users' eyes after continued use. Most learning management software, like Google Classroom for example, have this as an option. I've seen many options for Google Chrome extensions that change your screen to work in dark mode, but in my school district those extensions have been blocked. I would love to see the dark mode be implemented directly into Canvas for all users to access.

Night_night
Community Novice

Those extensions do not work for school laptops and are blocked by my administration. There are a lot of people who need the dark mode for their own reasons, I do not need it but find it strains my eyes and makes them hurt when online at night. Please add dark mode I do not see the harm in adding it, if there is one make it apparent to everyone as to why that is.

KyleSebbern
Community Novice

Hey my eyes have been killing me and it's hard to do work pls give us a dark mode pls

mknelson
Community Member

I would also love a dark theme. 🙂

BradenStauth
Community Member

Most websites and apps with all-white backgrounds have the option to have a dark mode for the backgrounds. It not only saves battery life of devices due to the screen being darker, but it also allows for the user to not have a bright white screen in front of them, avoiding eye strain and getting work done faster due to less eye strain.