[User Settings] Printable Roster with Photo Size Selectable

The printable roster is nice but the photos are much too small to be useful. The size of the photos, when available, should be selectable by instructors (e.g., small, medium, large). It would be nice if the rosters with photos could be sorted by groups too (see previous idea: Printable course roster ).

I can open the individual photos and they are much larger than they appear in the roster. For example, attached is the Canvas photo from the roster and attached is the Angel photo from the roster (we used to use Angel for classes). You can see the difference in usability.

203820_Example Canvas Photo.jpgExample Canvas Photo.jpg203821_Example Angel Photo.jpgExample Angel Photo.jpg

Added to Theme

35 Comments
jenn_stevens
Community Contributor

Our institution is very interested in anything that can make the Canvas profile photo sizes larger. Here's why:

Our faculty have been asking for years for a photo roster. We gave up on the idea that this was feasible in Canvas, and built a custom solution in our student information system that displays ID card pictures and the legal name of students.

However: we have a number of transgender students that are not ready or able to change their legal name. We make sure to display their updated name in as many places as possible, including in Canvas. However, it turns out that the only way to display the updated name in the photo roster is to modify the student information system in a way that is not sustainable or a terribly good solution. 

We're circling back to thinking that telling faculty to use Canvas as the source for names and photos might be the best solution, but we're still stuck on the size of the photos.

One of the things we really value about Canvas is that students can choose how they want to present themselves: they can choose their name and photo. This isn't just a transgender issue, this is also something desired by international students who want to be known in class by their "american" names instead of their birth name. It's hitting the transgender students the hardest though when faculty are unsure what names to use: "I am slightly on the verge of tears in the middle of my Intro to Lit Studies class. When my teacher took attendance it said my birth name on it. Last week during class it was correct on the roster but today it was wrong. I don’t know what to do and I don’t want this to happen again because I cannot focus or speak."

We'll keep brainstorming, but having a solution that doesn't involve user scripts would be great!

maguire
Community Champion

A batch job could run the script for each class and put an updated class roster into the course as a file (for example, each night replacing the file). 

mmccain
Community Novice

Is there any progress on the ability to resize student pics or print usable photo rosters?  

Currently the student pictures are too small to see at a level the average person to learn faces.   I don't see the purpose of having them at all if we can't see them.  If we could increase their size, we could learn the names of our students.  

cholling
Community Champion

This issue just came up with me yesterday when a faculty asked how to enlarge the photos so they could be seen more easily. Implementation would be very welcome around our school!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

costwink
Community Participant

Adding on to this request.  I have multiple faculty requesting larger (usable) profile pictures within the course.  This is true for the people page, with discussions, and elsewhere in the course.  Perhaps an option at the admin level or individual user could be implemented.

j_avneri
Community Participant

Hi Renee, 

Could I check what stage this idea would be in? Apologies if I have missed it in the comments - there is a quick way you can check at what stage an idea is at like at the top or is it just 'open for voting'?

Many thanks

Joe Avneri

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @j_avneri  

This idea is simply open for voting.  No advanced stages at this point, or it would say that in place of 'open for voting'.

maguire
Community Champion

python also runs on the Mac (I have several colleagues using it this way). The sandbox mentioned in my message above is just a Canvas course that is for experimenting and is publically accessible.

A new improved version of the program users-in-course.py is available at GitHub - gqmaguirejr/Canvas-tools: Some tools for use with the Canvas LMS. 

h_carmichael
Community Participant

Putting in my two cents.... sorry for the long read.....

What our staff would like to do:

Staff would like access to a report that displays official student photos, names and e-mail addresses in a printable format. This should be available only to staff roles and not student roles in Canvas. Photos must be large enough to identify students.

Why staff would like to do this:

This printable class roster allows teaching staff the ability to get to know their students throughout the term.

Limitations with current functionality:

Although Canvas provides the ability for users to add photos they can upload a non-profile picture (e.g. their cat), this also results in using the chrome work-around impractical.
Importing the official student photos would ensure consistency across University systems, there is currently technical workarounds to import photos from SIS, however this requires significant effort on the Universities part where it should be a standard function.
Photos in Canvas are visible to all users, imported photos from SIS should not be visible to fellow students in line with the Data Protection Act 2018 (UK) / GDPR.

What staff currently do and what they need to do:

We are currently in transition to Canvas from our previous LMS which offers a printable student photo report, staff can easily access this. Students do not have access to this report / photos.
For those that have moved to Canvas some staff can access a draft report via the SIS (permissions depending), this means an additional log in and numerous extra clicks / navigation. This requires significant administrative work from the SIS Governance team to amend permissions as well as administrative staff in Schools to on occasion access the report on their behalf.

I hope this adds to this request!

Helen