include Mobile App Page Views in Page Views on User Account Details Page

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be nice if the Mobile App Page Views for a user were included in the user Page Views that are accessible on the User Account Details Page.

No matter how a user is moving around in the system (laptop, desktop, mobile device, mobile app) those actions should all be recorded/visible in one area and set of Page Views.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-05-13)

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15152 

49 Comments
cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

WooHoo!!!

{{ Happy Dance }}

Thannk you!

nlatimer
Community Champion

The Release Notes state:

"The Student app supports reporting mobile page views to Canvas. Canvas admins can track mobile page views in the Page Views section of a student’s User Details page. Each page view in the Student app is assigned a URL that corresponds to a page in the web view of Canvas."

So does this mean that this information can still only be seen by admins?

Another note:

"Mobile page views are only sent to Canvas from a student’s mobile device after the Student app has been closed."

I get this. Unfortunately, my students NEVER close the app. Sigh.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Nancy,

We've updated the release notes to clarify this action, but student don't have to close the app. They just need to do a soft close, which is more often known as having the app open in the background but not active. 

Hope that helps!

Erin

kblack
Community Champion

I'm curious, too, about the other part of Nancy's question regarding if this means the information can only be seen by admins.

Also, I feel like I should know this by now, but it seems to me there have been discussions as to whether or not the "Total Activity" column on the instructor's PEOPLE page consistently indicated mobile usage or not, as well as the access reports.  I'm guessing that this is NOT the case with this update, since https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9006-include-canvas-mobile-app-in-student-access-reports is still not noted as being included in this release.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Ken,

Correct. As far as I know, this change has only been made for page views at the account level. However, I'll ask our mobile friends if the views display in the student access reports and if so, to please update the feature idea.

Thanks,

Erin

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

Hi  @kblack , while we wait for erinhallmark to confirm (this completely),  @ctitmus ‌ on the Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.3)  stated that "When I tested this in the Student app 6.3 today, I could see mobile page views displayed in Course Analytics, Account Analytics, and the course activity reports."

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed