A student that is part of a group does not see the group submission nor teacher feedback

Jump to solution
LF89
Community Member

I hope someone has some answers for a niche issue in our institution.

A student that is part of a 5 person group does not see the group submission on a recent assignment. The submission has been graded with teacher feedback through annotations, but as the group submission is only registered to the 4 other people in the group the student cannot see the feedback. The student does see the grade since they are part of this group for this assignment, but cannot see the submission itself.

If the student goes into the group's files on their shared space in Canvas, they can see the submission there - just without any feedback of course.

I have tried downloading the submission with feedback to see if that could be given to the student instead, just so they can have the feedback, but since the feedback is not in English and has a lot of non-English characters, the feedback there is unreadable as this option does not support non-English characters. 

The only thing I can think of to solve this is to try removing the student from the group and re-adding them to the group, but I don't really have enough confidence in this method to try it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be done?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I wonder if the assignment's group settings include the option to give feedback individually. If so, perhaps the grader gave each student a score but did not give all the students the same feedback (screenshots attached showing the options for the assignment settings and feedback).

Option to assign grades to students individuallyOption to assign grades to students individuallyOption to share feedback with one student or everyone in the groupOption to share feedback with one student or everyone in the group

Another possibility is the student was not a member of the group at the time the feedback was given. Canvas is generally not retroactive, and for this reason I don't think removing and re-adding the student will change their ability to see the feedback.

You mention the difficulty in downloading the feedback to share directly with the student. I see that Canvas creates a PDF of the feedback, so what you see on the screen should also be in the downloaded file. It it's not, then taking a screenshot is the next step I would try.

View solution in original post

0 Likes