cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BStutzman
Community Champion

Absent in Canvas grade book

Jump to solution

Does anyone have a good trick for marking a student absent in the gradebook.  For example, I give an assignment and if a student is absent, I want something in the column that shows that the score is missing because the student was absent.  It would be nice if I could change status labels in my gradebook so that I could add the ones that work for me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherAhern
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @BStutzman !

As you noticed, Canvas does not currently have a feature that would provide this kind of mark for you in the Grade book. When I was a teacher, one thing I did was add a comment like "Late/missing due to absence" so that if I wondered why it was missing, I could click on the arrow where you would normally add the flag and see the comment. Now, be aware that students can see this comment, I also used it as documentation. I am not sure if this idea would work for you, but I wanted to share. We are always looking to improve for our users so please feel free to contribute your feedback to our Ideas page.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bowmanr
Community Champion

@BStutzman -

I agree about being able to modify the status label names.  However, I just looked (I really don't use those labels) and was surprised that they did not have one for absent - yet they do for missing.  Absent is of course different from missing. 

I would think that Canvas could add the absent label with very little effort on their part.  Maybe someone from instructure will see this and agree.

HeatherAhern
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @BStutzman !

As you noticed, Canvas does not currently have a feature that would provide this kind of mark for you in the Grade book. When I was a teacher, one thing I did was add a comment like "Late/missing due to absence" so that if I wondered why it was missing, I could click on the arrow where you would normally add the flag and see the comment. Now, be aware that students can see this comment, I also used it as documentation. I am not sure if this idea would work for you, but I wanted to share. We are always looking to improve for our users so please feel free to contribute your feedback to our Ideas page.