Accessibility in Canvas

Kellie_Martini
Community Member

I am the Assistive Technology Coordinator for a small k-12 school district outside of Austin, Texas.

Questions--

• #1  I am struggling with using our Text to Speech tool (Snap&Read Universal by Don Johnston) in Canvas Quiz--it would appear that the text is "inaccessible" (i.e., the text reader does not recognize the words on the page as text).  I have to use the OCR function on Snap&Read in order to have text scanned and then read.  This seems to be a problem with the NEWER quiz format.  Why is this happening and how can Canvas make the text accessible?  Many students have oral administration as part of their accommodations.
  • #2  I am unable to use our Word Prediction/Speech to Text tool (Co:Writer Universal by Don Johnston) in Canvas Quiz.  Again this seems to be a problem with the NEWER quiz format.  For our learners who require these tools to compose responses I am wondering WHY our extension is not working within Canvas.

I am not looking for another tool to use within Canvas--I would like the tools that we have invested in to work on Canvas Quizzes and/or Canvas to build in native accessibility tools for Text to Speech, Speech to Text, and Word Prediction.

Any one else struggling with these issues?

Thanks!

Kellie

Labels (1)
0 Likes