Accuracy of Canvas Activity Log

Jump to solution
unsure101
Community Member

Hello, Could someone reputable confirm the accuracy of the canvas logs in terms of activy, timing and all activity that canvas reports. I need to understand how accurate are these logs. I was also informed that canvas uses AWS servers but was told by someone at AWS that they have problems and innacuracies all the time. But from a canvas perspective I need confirmation that these logs are not accurate and cannot be submissible to accuse a user for cheating or accessablity.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @unsure101,

Honestly, this is one of the trickiest things to answer and talk to faculty at my university about.  I'd stress up front that things are really going to be different for almost each and every investigation of cheating, access, etc.  Since this is a public forum, I wouldn't suggest divulging any confidential info, but could you perhaps give us a little bit about the scenario you have to investigate right now?

In a very broad sense, the information you'll find in Canvas logs/access reports/etc is going to be valid, but the caveat is that you can never know for sure if the dataset is complete.  What I mean is that you won't necessarily be able to tell if a users internet connection dropped in the middle of a quiz, for example.  Canvas would just show the last time they did something in the quiz, and that it perhaps eventually auto-submitted at some later point.  The data about what the student answered at what time is going to be accurate, but it doesn't paint a complete picture of the student's experience.  In the past, activity done in the Canvas app wasn't always reported either, though I believe that was addressed maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Canvas guides about quiz logs specifically call out that the logs shouldn't be used to investigate academic integrity issues, probably because of the issue mentioned above.

If you're in charge of investigating, you'll probably need to gather data not only from Canvas, but perhaps your login system or other sources as well.  I always preface anything I say in these situations with "according to the data I can see..." and "in my personal opinion, this seems to show...".  I will really never say anything with 100% certainty.  We have an academic integrity board which makes final decisions on issues, so they take evidence from the student(s), the teacher(s), sometimes myself, and anyone else involved, then make a determination based on all of the info.

Hope this helps a bit, even though it's probably not as concrete of an answer as you were hoping to get.

-Chris

View solution in original post