Adding a Rubric

Jump to solution
Janderson22
Community Member

I followed the steps to add a rubric to an assignment but there is no "add rubric" option for me to select. Does the assignment need to be in a specific format? This assignment was loaded as a Google Cloud external tool assignment.

Thank you,

Jennifer Anderson

0 Likes
2 Solutions

@Janderson22 and @scunningham1 ...

If you want to use a Canvas rubric with an external tool such as the Google LTI, it is possible to do this.  First, you must attach the rubric to the assignment just like you would with any other regular assignment (let's say the submission type will be "Online").  Then, after you have attached the rubric to the assignment, go back into the assignment, edit the settings for the assignment, and then change the submission type from "Online" to "External Tool".  You'll then select the Google LTI that you are using for the assignment.  When you save the assignment settings, the rubric will disappear.  But, it will still be attached to the assignment...you just can't see it...at least not from this view.  You can go into the SpeedGrader for this assignment and open up the rubric like you would for any other assignment to use it for grading.  From a student perspective, a student can view the rubric for the assignment via the "Grades" page.  Check this Guide for more details: How do I view the rubric for my external tool assi... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

Hopefully this will help a bit.  Sing out if either of you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @Janderson22 and @scunningham1 ...

I was browsing the June 21, 2023 Deploy Notes a short time ago, and I saw some welcome news that I wanted to share with both of you.  It looks like adding a rubric to an external tool (LTI) will be possible right off the bat...no work-arounds necessary.  Check out the section on Assignments: External Tools Add Rubric Button.

Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-06-21) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

View solution in original post

0 Likes