Annotated student submissions

Jump to solution
Lance_Butler
Community Member

I would like to be able to have students submit their annotated work, allow me to check it and give feedback, and then allow the students to continue working on the same assignment without losing their work.  At this point, it appears that once a student submits their assignment, they are unable to go back and continue to work OR fix issues after editing.  How do I do this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Instructure
Instructure

Because of the nature of how submissions behave in Canvas, once they have been submitted, they can no longer be edited without a new submission being created.  If students are to continue to work on an assignment after having made a submission, they would have to create a new attempt, and much like getting a new copy of a completed worksheet to try again, that new attempt will be blank of previous work. 

If you would prefer that students be able to edit the annotations they created then they would need to use a different means of annotating the files (like with a pdf editing software on their device or an external tool) and the assignment allowing file upload submissions as well.  Additionally, if file uploads were allowed, students could download their initial attempt and then edit it using an external tool or software and then submitting the edited work as a file upload instead of an annotation.

View solution in original post