Any creative solutions for setting availability dates on content for specific students?

Jump to solution
jesslyn_boiscla
Community Explorer

We have a use case for setting availability dates for content for individual students, and I'm wondering if I'm missing any creative solution. The current workaround is to post the content (a video recording) as an assignment assigned to one student, then unpublish the assignment when the student should no longer have access. Multiple students may need access to the same content but for different periods of time, so it's a very individual and manual process.

Assignments have availability dates, but the end date doesn't restrict access to the assignment details where the content is posted, so this isn't a good solution. Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation, and do you have any other ideas for handling this more efficiently?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@jesslyn_boiscla -

The following is not all that great of an idea, but I figured I would throw it out there-wrote it up then checked it out.  Unfortunately, it does not work.

Use a classic quiz (not a new quiz - unless the capability I mention is available - I seem to remember this being an issue).  Create the quiz for whatever student or student group needs to look at the video.  Use the assignment date and due dates on the quiz - and the until date. 

Then for the question, just put a true false question or some question worth 0 points.  in the instructions tell them to submit the quiz.  Then look at the answer for the link to the video.  Put the link in the correct answer block comment area - or I would just use the general comment area.  in the settings for the quiz, you can set when the answer is available to be viewed.  That is where you put in the correct start and end time for viewing the answers.  I would set the quiz for multiple attempts if the comments 

Then when the time expires for viewing the answers, they no longer have the answer. - of course I wonder if they could book mark it and have access to it after that time frame anyway?  If so, then you are out of luck with the above method.

I tried the above with true/false questions and put comments in all the comment boxes - unfortunately, those show up even after the date and time to view the answers is past - the answer goes away, but the comments remain - which would tell the student if they had a question right or wrong if those comment boxes were used.

Fill in the blank will work using the above method - the correct answer will be the url which they will not be able to get correct.  That way you only need one attempt for the quiz.  The only issue is that the link provided is not active (I tried using latex \url{the url link of a site} as the answer, and it just shows up as I typed it - not an active link}- the students would have to highlight the link and paste it into a browser.  Which once again goes back to my comment about bookmarking the link.

View solution in original post