Any way to not have student appear in Gradebook?

Jump to solution
ChristineMoore4
Community Member

Hello - we have a student auditing a class, and would like this student to be able to access the Canvas LMS but not be added to the gradebook. Is there any way to keep an individual student (with the Canvas "student" role) out of the Gradebook?

0 Likes
1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Instructure
Instructure

@ChristineMoore4 There is a way that you could "filter" a student out of the gradebook, but you would have to have the permissions to manage sections in a course.  What you could do, would be to create a new section in the course that contains all the "regular" students in the course, but not the auditing student.  Then you could filter the gradebook view to see only the section with with "regular" students that you created.  This would also work if the auditing student were enrolled in a different section of the course from the "regular" students originally (for example the course hod two sections one for credit-seeking students and one for auditing students).

For how to create a section in your course see How do I add a section to a course as an instructor? 

For how to filter the gradebook (without Enhanced Filters enabled) see How do I filter columns and rows in the Gradebook? 

For how to filter the gradebook (with Enhanced Filters enabled) see How do I use Enhanced Gradebook Filters? 

View solution in original post