Are others having an issue with the preview feature?

Jump to solution
rrudd
Community Participant

I'm having an issue where a previously working preview link is no longer working or shows the down arrow the first time, doesn't open the preview, and subsequent clicks only produces a download or other format option.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @rrudd 

I just tested this in a sandbox, and everything is working as expected, and when I click the down-arrow, I get the option to preview. However, when I select Preview, the document does not open for preview and the preview option subsequently disappears. I would strongly suggest submitting a support ticket.

Good luck,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @rrudd ...

In addition to the information that you received from my friend, @kmeeusen, I was curious if you are referring to the new down-arrow icon that shows to the right of a file name ... as shown about half-way through this video: Rich Content Editor: File Preview Enhancements (20... - Canvas Community.  If so, this isn't available in "production" instances of Canvas until March 20, 2021...so I was wondering if you were maybe looking at this in your school's "beta" environment?  I did notice that the behavior of linked files has changed a bit with this update.  Currently (before March 20), if you click on the link to a file, it will download to your computer.  The icon to the right of the file name previews the file.

LinkedFile1.jpg

I tested this in our "beta" environment, too.  With the new update that's coming, when I click on the underlined file, it previews for me in my browser.  The new down-arrow next to it downloads the file.  So, it seems that Instructure has essentially reversed the behavior of these two things...and changed the look of the icon.

I wasn't sure if this was exactly what you were referring to, but I wanted to provide the information anyway.  Hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post