cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bham
Community Participant

Are there settings available to prevent instructors from creating an assignment with an external tool? Or at least limiting their options from the external tools?

Jump to solution

I am an Admin and we ran into a problem with one of our external tools. You can create an assignment through Canvas with this tool, but to use it correctly, the instructor needs to create the assignment through the tool's website first before they can link it with Canvas. Any way to prevent this from happening?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lstickdo
Community Participant

I'm not sure if this would be helpful, but you can manage a white list of apps in the Edu App Center. We had a similar problem, in that we wanted to limit the ability of instructors to be able to install LTI tools into their courses. If you create an account in the Edu App center with your school email, and then sign into https://www.eduappcenter.com, you'll see an "Admin" tab at the top right. Click on "Admin" and then select "Organizations." Then click on "Create Organization" and add the name and URL of your Institution.  After you click on "Save Changes," you can select your organization and click on "Manage Whitelist." You will see a list of all the available apps in EduApps Center, and you'll see that you can also select "Visible," or "Hidden" for each of the apps. If you select "Hidden," a user will NOT be able to see the "hidden" app on the "External Apps" link within their course. (And so not be able to install it.) "Hidden" apps will be "hidden" from everyone, including account admins, so, in order to find and/or install an LTI as an admin, you'd need to make the app "Visible" so you, as an admin could see it. I've found the feature pretty helpful.

Hope that helps a little,

Lisa

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @bham ‌...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here in the Canvas Community unanswered since April 24th.  It appears that you may have stumped the Community with your question.  While I don't necessarily have an answer for you myself, I wanted to check in with you.  Have you been able to find a solution to your question on your own?  If so, would you be willing to share your findings with us here in this thread?  But, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please let us know that, too.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Bethany!

bh16d_admin
Community Participant

Hello Chris, 

Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately, I haven't found much on the subject. I figured it wouldn't be a common question, but figured I would ask anyway!

I'm not sure if this can be solved programmatically, but I've shared this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=b00cbf8c-4b3b-4f04-bbd0-...‌ to see if they can help!

lstickdo
Community Participant

I'm not sure if this would be helpful, but you can manage a white list of apps in the Edu App Center. We had a similar problem, in that we wanted to limit the ability of instructors to be able to install LTI tools into their courses. If you create an account in the Edu App center with your school email, and then sign into https://www.eduappcenter.com, you'll see an "Admin" tab at the top right. Click on "Admin" and then select "Organizations." Then click on "Create Organization" and add the name and URL of your Institution.  After you click on "Save Changes," you can select your organization and click on "Manage Whitelist." You will see a list of all the available apps in EduApps Center, and you'll see that you can also select "Visible," or "Hidden" for each of the apps. If you select "Hidden," a user will NOT be able to see the "hidden" app on the "External Apps" link within their course. (And so not be able to install it.) "Hidden" apps will be "hidden" from everyone, including account admins, so, in order to find and/or install an LTI as an admin, you'd need to make the app "Visible" so you, as an admin could see it. I've found the feature pretty helpful.

Hope that helps a little,

Lisa

View solution in original post

bh16d_admin
Community Participant

Thanks Lisa!