cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use the guides in the Instructure Community?

How do I use the guides in the Instructure Community?

The Instructure Guides provide simplified yet comprehensive instruction on using all of our software products. These guides are a free resource that can be accessed without logging into the Community. The Instructure Guides are created, organized, and maintained by the Instructure Community Team.

This lesson includes answers to some frequently asked questions about using the Instructure Guides.

How do I find the Instructure Guides?

Navigation Menu

The Instructure guides are separated by product.

To access Canvas product guides such as the Canvas, Canvas Catalog, Canvas Commons, Canvas Mobile, Canvas Network, Canvas Studio, and SIS guides, hover over the Canvas menu [1]. Then select the product guide you'd like to view [2].

To access Additional Product guides such as the Certify, enCASE, MasteryConnect, Navigate Item Bank, Portfolium, Professional Services, and Videri guides, hover over the Additional Products menu [3]. Then select the product guide you'd like to view [4].

View Product Landing Page

View Product Landing Page

Some guide links may direct you to a landing page, which organizes the overall collection of lessons into smaller manuals based on format, topic, or user role. For example, the Canvas Guides include manuals by user role [1], troubleshooting lessons for support questions [2], video guides [3], and a collection of resource documents [4].

View Table of Contents

View Table of Contents

Each manual opens to a Table of Contents, which lists all the lessons that have been organized by that topic or user role. To move to a specific chapter in the manual, click a chapter link [1]. To view a lesson, click the name of the lesson [2].

Which Instructure products include user guides?

You can currently find user guides in the Instructure Community for the following products and integrations:

Canvas Products:

Additional Products:

How often are guides updated?

All guides are updated so the lessons match their product's production environment. For this reason, guide updates are typically published near the same time that feature updates are released to production.

The Community Team may also complete updates for new or existing documentation that do not relate directly to a product release. Some of these updates are based on feedback received from customers and employees. For organizational purposes, these updates are typically published at the same as the release updates.

For example, Canvas is scheduled to release updates to production on May 15, 2021. The Community team will also publish updates for the Canvas Guides on the same day. These updates will include information related to the 2021-05-15 Release Notes in addition to any other tasks that have been completed since the last release. The next update for the Canvas Guides would occur on the date of the next Canvas release or deploy that includes customer-facing changes.

How are lesson updates published?

The Community Team uses a documentation management platform to organize and update all of our product guides. When lessons are published from that platform to the Community site, we often need to publish entire manuals (e.g., the Canvas Student Guide or Portfolium Network Guide). This means that every lesson in that manual is replaced with a new version, even though many of the lessons are replaced with a new version that is identical to the previous version. Because of this, the version histories found in the Options menu of each lesson page may not accurately reflect the frequency that a lesson was actually updated.

Are the Instructure Guides translated into other languages?

A portion of the Canvas, Studio, and Commons guides are translated into the following languages: Simplified Chinese, Danish, Dutch, French, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish, Swedish, and Welsh.

To view all translated product guides and resources available in a language, click the Canvas menu [1], then use the Resources by Language menu links to select the applicable language [2].

How do I leave feedback on a lesson?

How do I leave feedback on a lesson?

To share feedback on a lesson, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the share your feedback link. Then complete the feedback form. The Community Team reviews all feedback received and determines whether or not feedback will be implemented. Users will not receive a response from their feedback.

Notes:

• You must be logged into the community to share feedback on a lesson.
  • The feedback form is for guides feedback only; it is not intended for support requests or idea conversations.

Can I repurpose content from the guides for my institution's use?

The Instructure guides and associated resources are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Content may be downloaded and repurposed as long as you adhere to the copyright guidelines.

Was this article helpful? Yes No