cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IML32
Community Member

Assign to a group set?

Jump to solution

My students are divided into three group sets, say GC1, GC2, and GC3, each consisting of multiple groups (say 1-10, 11-20, and 21-30). The division into three streams happened a few weeks into the course, so unfortunately the course is not divided into Course Sections on Canvas.

Is there a way to assign an assignment to the groups in GC1 without typing in 1 to 10 in the "Assign to..." section?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gpillsbury
Community Participant

Sorry, this is not possible.  Currently, assignments cannot be assigned to a group set, such as GC1.  You either have to assign it to each group within GC1 individually (as you noted in your post) or create sections and assign to a specific section. This question about assigning to a Group Set comes up regularly though, so it's probably worth a feature request!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @IML32 ...

If I am understanding your question correctly, you just want to assign a specific assignment in your course to a group set that you created called GC1.  Within that group set, I assume this is where you've created your first ten groups (labeled 1-10).  You can assign the GC1 group set to any assignment in your course by following the instructions in How do I assign an assignment to a course group? - Instructure Community.  Just select the check-box for "This is a Group Assignment", and then select the GC1 group set from the drop-down list that you created back on your "People" page.  Canvas knows that the folks assigned to the groups in 1-10 are connected to that given assignment, so I'm not sure it's totally necessary for you to also add anything to the "Assign to" box.

Hope this helps...

IML32
Community Member

Thanks for your response @chofer. I'm a bit confused because in all the examples in the link you posted, either you can assign to Everyone, to individual students, to a Course Section, or to a group, but not to a group set. I should add that I don't see any option for GC1 in my "Assign to..." box.

If I don't change the "Assign to..." box (i.e. if I leave it as "Everyone") then all students will be able to see the assignments for all of the group sets, right? That's not quite what I want-- I want the student belonging to a particular group set to only be able to see and submit to their corresponding assignment (there are only three different versions of each assignment, corresponding to the three different group sets).

gpillsbury
Community Participant

Sorry, this is not possible.  Currently, assignments cannot be assigned to a group set, such as GC1.  You either have to assign it to each group within GC1 individually (as you noted in your post) or create sections and assign to a specific section. This question about assigning to a Group Set comes up regularly though, so it's probably worth a feature request!

View solution in original post

IML32
Community Member

Thanks for clarifying!