Assign weightings to different types of work

Jump to solution
ArthurDiaz
Community Member

I'm new at this. How do I assign weightings for different types of work - e.g., homework counts for 30%, tests for 50%, class participation 20% - so that Canvas calculates the overall grade the way I want it?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @ArthurDiaz ...

You can set up grade weighting through your "Assignments" index page in your course.  You can create assignment groups on your "Assignments" page.  For example, you can create the following assignment groups:

• Homework
  • Tests
  • Class Participation

How do I add an assignment group in a course? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Then, once you create those groups, you can then add the weighted percentages to each of those assignment groups:

How do I weight the final course grade based on as... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Then, you can either add new assignments to each of your assignment groups:

How do I create an assignment shell in an assignme... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Or, if you have existing assignments on your "Assignments" index page that you need to move into other assignment groups, you can do that as well:

How do I move or reorder an assignment? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Here is a tutorial video that you can watch which also describes how to set up assignment groups on your "Assignments" index page.

Assignments Overview (Instructors) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Hope this helps a bit.  Let folks in the Community know if you have any questions about this.

View solution in original post