cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glenn_phoenix
Community Participant

Assigning quiz to everyone but....

Jump to solution

Can you assign a quiz or assignment to everyone in a class except certain people?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@glenn_phoenix ​, Yep, use the directions from this guide - How do I assign a Quiz to an individual student or course section? - and just select everyone BUT the person or people you don't want to see the quiz.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@glenn_phoenix ​, Yep, use the directions from this guide - How do I assign a Quiz to an individual student or course section? - and just select everyone BUT the person or people you don't want to see the quiz.

View solution in original post

glenn_phoenix
Community Participant

OK, so if there are 20 students in the class, click on the 19 that you want to take the test, but not the one you don't want to take it?

tknapp
Community Contributor

@glenn_phoenix , that's correct. The student names that you click on and are displayed are the students who will be assigned the test or assignment. The "Assign To" option at the bottom works the same for both!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Also,  @glenn_phoenix , a feature idea for the ability to was up for voting recently and was archived with a comment from Instructure. You might want to take a moment to add your use case to the comments.

CJ2020
Community Member

This is not what we need. We need to be able to easily remove a student from a quiz/test/assignment when the student has an accommodation on a quiz/test/assignment, especially when our classes have over 30 students, but when creating the item, only 6 or so show up in the “assigned to” window. Allowing “Everyone” to individually populate when the choice of “Everyone” is made, without having to remember the roster, would be nice. At least then, we would be able to quickly scroll to the student we need to delete from the regular curriculum. Sections is a hassle when this is an easy to program solution that would save tons of manpower and provide privacy to students with learning differences. As is, I assign two tests and hope they remember, without embarrassingly asking, which one they should take when no one else has two options.

rmcrae
Community Member

This "method" of clicking on every student except the one student excluded is idiotic.  It isn't a method.  It's yet another bug in Canvas.

ckozaczuk
Community Member

i have a student who was added to my ESL class mid quarter. I do not want to penalize her for not submitting the first half of the quarter's work.  I also do not want to go back and reassgn all 40 assignments to every individual in the class except her. There must be away to make those zeros not count for individual students.

bsr
Community Participant

Agreeing with @CJ2020 and @rmcrae here: this is not a solution. The entire point was to assign to everyone except certain students, as in to create the exception without having to individually select every student that you do want to get the assignment. I have 65 students in my class, and want to create an exception that assigns the final to all but 7 of them, who submitted an alternate project. It is reasonably easy to select the 7 who signed up for the alternate and assign that item to them, but a total pain to then have to sit there and select 58 students out of 65 to assign the regular final to them, and prevent any of the 7 from doing both assignments. It's also a process that virtually guarantees a clerical error, resulting in some panicked student not being able to access their final, because I was trying to select the correct 58 students from a wonky drop-down menu.

vectorpotential
Community Member

I have a Canvas course with 150 students. I need an easy way to make a quiz available to everyone except one student during a specific time range. Then I want to create a separate availability time range for that one student to complete the quiz.

It is not reasonable to manually add 149 students in the first availability box. Adding a student to a separate availability box should automatically override any availability as part of a group or section, or there should be a separate box for exclusions, or a way to put a minus in front of a name to indicate exclusion from the Everyone or Section list.

Is there a method for accomplishing this?