Assignment description not visible if assessment isn't available

Jump to solution
Jess_M
Community Participant

When I restrict the assignment 'available from' date, students can no longer see any of the assignment details at all. All they can see is the assignment name and a message that says 'This assignment is locked until [date] at [time]'. 

Is there any way to manage this so that more information is visible? I want to be able to restrict students from attempting an assessment prematurely, but also want them to get the information they need regarding the assignment on the relevant assignment pages (e.g. description, available from date, due date etc). 

I could have sworn that this used to be the default setting, either that or we never realised and students never mentioned it. I think locking an assessment is pretty much the same as unpublishing it. Limiting the ability to attempt the assessment but keeping the information visible would be an ideal option. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Good morning, @Jess_M ...

Thank you for the additional information.  I understand what you mean, and while I agree with you that this does create additional content pages, the way that I suggested (and it sounds like you are doing something similar already) is the "work-around" for now.  One other thing I thought of was that you could set it up so that your content page (not the assignment) is the first thing that students would also see (containing the directions).  Then, maybe at the end of that page, you could create a link to the actual assignment (which could also display the directions) where students would submit the work to you.  You wouldn't necessarily need to put the actual assignment on your "Modules" page.

You said you have a module dedicated to assignment information.  Have you considered putting your assignments within each of your modules instead...organized by module topic?  For example, you might have a bunch of related activities for a given module topic and then an assignment at the end of the module...instead of having all of your assignments in one single module.  Just a thought.

Finally, I was able to find a related Feature Idea that I would encourage you to take a look at:

Allow Canvas assignment instructions to be visible before assignment is available

If you want, you can leave a comment on this Feature Idea (provide examples as to why this would be important to you) as well as give it a star rating.

How do idea conversations work in the Instructure Community? (info included here about the star rating system)

Hope this helps a bit.

View solution in original post