cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgorham
Community Participant

Best way to create differentiated assignments and assign them to groups?

Jump to solution

I would like the ability to assign an assignment that is modified at three levels: an unmodified one for general education, a slightly modified one for students whose IEPs or whatever require them to have limited accommodations, and a highly modified version of the assignment for those who have significant learning challenges. I would like students to only see the version of the assignment they are supposed to get, but I don't know the best way to do that. I know "groups" and "sections" exist. As of now, I wanted to make my different class periods into my different sections combined with groups to assign things to particular groups only. But that doesn't seem like it will work. Do I need to create three sections for each class period if I want to do this? Is there a better way to do what I'm describing. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mgorham , there are some benefits to having the students in different sections, but the pitfall is that students would be able to see these different sections in the Canvas Inbox - which given how you are grouping them might not be ideal. As for groups, if you used groups not only would students know who was in their "group," but an extra group space would also be created for these students; which is also probably not idea.

Yet, you don't have to group the students (or put them together in sections) to use the differentiated assignment tool. Go ahead and create all three assignments, but in the "Assign To" box for each of them you would go through and select the students that should be assigned to that specific assignment. Students who weren't assigned that assignment would not see the assignment or even know that it existed. Here's the guide that explains how to do this - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9973-4152101242 

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mgorham , there are some benefits to having the students in different sections, but the pitfall is that students would be able to see these different sections in the Canvas Inbox - which given how you are grouping them might not be ideal. As for groups, if you used groups not only would students know who was in their "group," but an extra group space would also be created for these students; which is also probably not idea.

Yet, you don't have to group the students (or put them together in sections) to use the differentiated assignment tool. Go ahead and create all three assignments, but in the "Assign To" box for each of them you would go through and select the students that should be assigned to that specific assignment. Students who weren't assigned that assignment would not see the assignment or even know that it existed. Here's the guide that explains how to do this - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9973-4152101242 

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

I'm confused by this. Let's say I have 5 students who need a specialized version. They are auto-populated by the district into the same section as all students.

Are you saying I'd build the modified assignment and choose those 5 individually every time for each assignment.... and THEN have to add my other 50 students individually to the other assignment? And there's no way to do this once and then simplify it for each future differentiated assignment?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this seems like a cumbersome and hugely time intensive way to differentiate. I'm surprised a large and established LMS wouldn't have an easier way to satisfy federal special education requirements! Really hoping there is an easier way.

I was hoping this is what student groups could do, but there is no way to select those in the Assign To... space.

I was coming here to look for the same thing. I was hoping I could assign to a "group" and create groups who would receive different levels of work. I can't imagine having to manually choose everyone in the section one by one to get one of the different versions of the assignment.

Let's hope there is a better way and we can find it!

missbartteacher
Community Member

I'm still looking for a solution to this question- as the posts above have mentioned, there needs to be some kind of way to either create anonymous groups to easily differentiate, or some kind of setting that saves groupings because for many teachers using Canvas, we have a few students who need one assignment and hundreds who need another. The only (somewhat of a) solution I've found is to excuse students from the main assignment and then manually assign my small group the differentiated work, but they still have access to the original work, which is not ideal.

Manually adding students names can't be the only option, especially with our new virtual learning environments...