Can I find which folder a course file is in

Jump to solution
kathleen1
Community Participant

Hi - I think I know the answer to this, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Is there a way, within a course, in the "Files" area, to determine what folder a specific file is in. I know that I can go to files and search and it will find the file, but it doesn't tell where in the file structure it resides. I need to need to know what folder it's in so I can replace it.

We have multiple levels of nesting in our file structure, so clicking through every folder is very time consuming. We have a large project that will require replacing many files in all of our courses, and this will be extremely time consuming if we need to drill down into all of our sub-folders for the hundreds/thousands of files that we'll need to find.

Thanks for any ideas!

Kathleen Barringer

Excelsior College

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @kathleen1 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with finding the sub folders that your files are housed within. Thank you for providing  a brief explanation  as it pinpoints exactly the issue. Unfortunately, you're not wrong  and there isn't a great way to  back track  to  see which sub folders your files are contained in. You can search directly, or click on the main folder then scroll the sub folders beneath to peer into them. It is honestly not very user friendly and  could be improved  to help teachers with many files.  

Feel free to check out our Ideas Conversation forum as we implement great ideas such as this that we find within the community. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/idb-p/ideas  

View solution in original post

0 Likes