Can I move a Discussion that already has responses into Assignments?

Jump to solution
LeksaLee
Community Member

Hi, I made a mistake! I set up an assignment wrong and now students have already submitted.

I want each student to submit to a discussion each week. I want them to be able to see each other's replies. I want to be able to see at a glance if each student has submitted to the discussions regularly, so I would like it to show up in the Gradebook. (I probably want to grade these Complete/Incomplete.)

But I created a Discussion and didn't make it graded. And so I can scroll through the students' replies, and I suppose I could print out a class roll and double check if each student submitted...but obviously I don't want to do that!

I suspect I should have set this up in Assignments instead of Discussions. And/or I should have made it graded. 

My questions are:

1. How should I set this up?

2. Can I edit/move the one I have already posted, that already has student responses, so that it's set up properly?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @LeksaLee ...

If you had a non-graded discussion topic in your course with student replies, you can still edit the settings of that topic to make it graded and to set it as Complete/Incomplete.  One message you might see when editing the discussion is in an orange box telling you that students have already submitted to the discussion and that group settings cannot be changed.

How do I edit or delete a discussion in a course?

If you wanted to test things out in the Canvas "test" environment before trying this in your school's "production" Canvas environment ("production" is the environment you always sign in to on a regular basis, by the way), you can do that without messing anything up in "production".  Here are some documents to look through as it relates to the "test" environment and how to access:

I always make sure to include that last link so that you sign out of "test" before returning to your school's "production" environment...just so you are sure you're logged in to the correct environment.

I hope this will be of help to you.  Let the Community know if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post