Can I place students in multiple Canvas sections without them seeing duplicated assignments?

Jump to solution
tiara_ferrell
Community Member

Our school links Campus to our Infinite Campus grading system (for the first time this year).  Each of my class period consists of several different IC sections due to IEPs, gifted, ESOL, etc.  I want to combine them all into a class period when grading - ex: 1st Period.  Can I add a 1st Period section to Canvas as well as their current IC section (automatically created) or will they see double announcements or double assignments when I post things to "Everyone"?  

0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

@tiara_ferrell You can add students to multiple sections without any duplication.  We do this for several courses to help organize things and give us more control over messaging and tracking, and so far have not run into any issues.  I have not tested though assigning like different due dates and seeing how that plays out.  For example, saying Period 1 is due 8/1/22 and the IC section is due 8/2/22 while a student is in both.  Not sure how that plays out. 

It will sometimes get weird if you are giving them different roles per section but it does not sound like from your question that you would be doing this.  This would be like giving someone teacher access in one section but student in another.  The higher role normally trumps everything.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post

0 Likes