Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenHanly

Canvas Inbox Messaging

Hi.

I am finding that it is time consuming to work out exactly who the student is that is messaging me.

Running multiple courses across multiple states, sometimes I will get a message from simply a "James".

There could be 25+ James's across the various courses that we offer!

So my question to the community is... can it be set so as that the FULL names appear for the students??

A first name is difficult enough, but then sometimes students message and use their nickname, which adds another element of trickiness.

So far, I have had to deal with this by simply investigating using the limited information the student may have provided in their message. However, I often have to reply with, "please tell me your surname" in order to identify them. 

Thanks for your assistance. I look forward to your responses... Fingers crossed, it's a simple fix.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Ben,

I'm afraid I'm not seeing what you're seeing in the Canvas Inbox.  My Inbox shows the full name on the sender's account, just as it appears in the course roster, grade book, etc.   Here's a test message from my regular user account to my Admin account:

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 10.06.41 AM.png

What do student names look like in your course roster (People)?