Canvas Quizzes - Revealing Feedback for Missed Questions

Jump to solution
JodiWilson
Community Explorer

I use several low-point value "knowledge reviews."  I want students to be able to attempt each quiz/review 3 times. My goal is to give students guidance on wrong answers so they can try again and to provide them with a full explanation of the question (via feedback on the correct answer) when they get the question correct OR after the miss it three times.

My preference would be for a student to see the following after the first two attempts: (a) the questions they got wrong with feedback for the wrong answer BUT not be told what the correct answer is and (b) the questions they got correct with the feedback for that answer. (This is how I had it structured on D2L.)   And then, on the final attempt, they get all the information - most importantly, the correct answer and the full answer explanation for each question regardless of how they answered it. 

As far as I can tell, however, what I want to do isn't possible. Specifically:

• It seem to be impossible to give students feedback on the incorrect answers/questions without also disclosing the correct answer, which defeats my purpose.  Have I missed something?
  • It seems to be impossible to give students a complete answer explanation for questions that they never answer correctly.  I thought about "General" comments, but it looks like those show up regardless, so it would provide the correct answer and answer explanation after the first attempt, even if the student missed the question and no matter what feedback settings I choose.  I tried "Correct Answer" comments, but those never show up unless the student actually chooses the correct answer at some point.  The feedback on the correct answer is the most thorough explanation of the question, but I can’t figure out how to provide it to students who don’t select the correct answer at some point within their three tries. Again, am I missing something or misunderstanding the way this works?

NOTE:  I am using Classic Quizzes.  I explored New Quizzes, but it seems even more limited in terms of how multiple attempts and showing correct answers/explanations play together.

Thanks!

(I have looked at the guides and looked for the same question posted elsewhere.  So if it's out there, I missed it and apologize!)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@JodiWilson -

Thanks for the great write up.  I think you explained the issue and your attempts at the solution.  I believe that you have everything figured out (not to your liking) about the way Canvas operates.  I use classic quizzes, but always with one attempt.  so, I have never tried to do what you want.  If I get some time I may try out some ideas, but I think you are correct and what you want is not possible.

Edit: your first question is you may have missed the setup forwhen the students can see the correct answer.  below is the setup I used to get the results discussed below

See answers.png

I went and tried out some ideas.  I can get you 90% of the way there.  The only thing that is not possible is the viewing of the correct answer comments on questions that are missed (note this was all done with a multiple choice question).

For the overall comments for the question.  The general comments show up regardless of which answer is selected.  The wrong answer comments show up if the question is answered wrong and the correct answer comments show up if the question is correct.  

For each individual answer, the comment correct or wrong show up depending on the answer.

However, if a question is answered incorrectly after all attempts, the correct answer is shown, but the comments for it are not shown (over site on Canvas's part, but it won't be fixed now).  Your only hope is someone knows how to do this with New quizzes.

View solution in original post