Canvas "Waiting for available socket" while using Google Chrome

Jump to solution
DavidThacker
Community Member

I'm not sure what suddenly changed, but lately when I am using Canvas in the Google Chrome browser it stops functioning. I cannot navigate away from the page I am currently on due to the "Waiting for available socket" message I get at the bottom of my screen. 

Canvas is the only site that comes up with this message and it seems to only be on my teacher computer. If I use a different computer the "error" is not there. It also seems to come at completely random times of the day. Sometimes it's right away, sometimes it's not until the end of the day.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome, I have reset Chrome, cleaned up my computer, restarted my computer, did a Google search for the problem and tried various solutions that I found, but the "error" keeps coming back. 

I know that the simple solution would be to use a different browser (Edge works flawlessly) but I work in a Google district so Chrome is the go to browser here. Nobody else around me seems to have this issue and my district IT guy isn't sure what is going on either. I'm not doing anything new, nor have I recently installed anything new. 

Any help or ideas to try would be very appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
cstrikwerda
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @DavidThacker 
Seeing that there are some good troubleshooting steps for this message in Chrome as it seems to be a common message. https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-waiting-for-available-socket-in-chrome/

Steps include:

Restart Chrome

Reload Chrome Tabs

Use a Third-Party Audio Tool

Flush Open Sockets

Clear Cache and Cookies in Chrome

Here are references for those steps if needed:
PC: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/How-do-I-clear-my-browser-cache-on-a-PC/ta-p/...

It is recommended to periodically clear cache and cookies in your browsers to maintain good performance levels. If these steps do not resolve the situation, it could be specific to that device, and we would want to bring that up with your local IT Helpdesk. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes