Canvas shows incorrect submission/attempt count

Jump to solution
chris_mathews
Community Novice

I am not a big fan of the most recent Canvas updates, especially the fact that you cannot add a comment to your submission, it must be added before or after submitting. I have also noticed a huge glitch that is annoying and confusing. Whenever I (a student) submit something for the first time now, it either shows up as the first or second attempt, which is already off to a bad start. Let's say I missed a typo or forgot to add something and need to resubmit once. All of a sudden Canvas tells me that there are 3, 4, 5, or even sometimes 6 submissions when there are only 2. If I need to submit a third time, it shows 8 attempts. I don't know if this is only a glitch on the student side but if teachers see this too I can imagine it's confusing and looks bad for me. Has anyone else experienced this?

Note: I never had an issue like this with canvas before this year when it was updated. I also spoke to multiple classmates who are experiencing the same thing.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @chris_mathews ...

Thank you for your post and for sharing that screenshot.  It looks like you are using the new "Assignment Enhancements" feature in Canvas.  (Note: Not all Canvas schools are using this new feature.  Your school or your instructor may have chosen to enable it for your class.)  For an issue like this, I would recommend that you reach out to the Canvas Help Desk staff...as this doesn't sound like normal Canvas behavior.  When you contact them, they will create a ticket for you on your behalf, and then you'll get updates via e-mail when the issue has been resolved (assuming that something does, in fact, need to be corrected on their end).  You can contact Canvas Support by using the "Report a Problem" link as described in this Guide:

How do I get help with Canvas as a student?

Also, before you click on "Report a Problem", you'll want to make sure that you are on the screen where you are experiencing the issue (such as the screen you included with your question here).  That way, the technician that will help you has some additional metadata that will be sent along with your ticket submission so that he/she can better assist you.

Please come back to this thread to provide an update once you have gotten a solution to this.  It would be interesting to know how this was resolved...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes