Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vhalltja

Card View--How do I get the "file" icon to show up on the card?

Jump to solution

How do you display files on the Course Card in Card View? My husband is a teacher too, and the file icon shows up on his cards, but not mine. With the file right there, it's much easier to up load a video from my own camera than without it.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@vhalltja 

I think you will find How do I view my favorite courses in the Card View Dashboard as an instructor? helpful.

Each card can include up to four tabs [2], which represent the four main Canvas features for student course activity: Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, and Files. These tabs mimic visibility and order in Course Navigation, so for instance, if an instructor hides the Announcements link, the Announcements tab will not display on the course card.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vhalltja

Or rather from my own phone.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@vhalltja 

I think you will find How do I view my favorite courses in the Card View Dashboard as an instructor? helpful.

Each card can include up to four tabs [2], which represent the four main Canvas features for student course activity: Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, and Files. These tabs mimic visibility and order in Course Navigation, so for instance, if an instructor hides the Announcements link, the Announcements tab will not display on the course card.

0 Kudos

So it hides it for the teacher too?

correct.  It mimics the course navigation - no matter the role.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @vhalltja  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I am not sure if you are an instructor or a student, so I will provide links to two Guides for you:

Please review the section called "View Card Details" on either of these Guides.  As the Guides suggest, "Files" (the icon that looks like a folder) would only appear on the course card if the instructor has made it visible in the course navigation links for that particular course.  If you are an instructor, look at your course to see if the "Files" course navigation link has a crossed-out eye icon next to it.  If that's the case, then you can enable the "Files" course navigation button by following the directions in this Guide: How do I manage Course Navigation links?.  If you are a student, however, there's nothing you can do on your end to make the "Files" (folder) icon on your course cards appear in your view.  It's a setting ultimately controlled by your instructor.

I hope this information will be of help to you, Vicki.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thank you.

vhalltja

If the files aren't hidden, do students have access to my files?

There are some  files and folders restrictions you can set, but they do apply to the entire course.  So making the files navigation tab available to students would allow them to click in and see any files that are not restricted.

@vhalltja ...

Yes, if the "Files" button is not hidden in your course, then students can see that menu within the course.  But, they cannot upload files to that area.  Only instructors are allowed to upload files to course "Files".  Instructors can also hide the "Files" button in the course yet make files in "Files" available to students from content pages in the course.  So, in one way or another, students would be able to access needed files for the course.  Does this help?

I'm an instructor.  Thanks. This is helpful.