Category of assignments that students can pick and choose from?

Jump to solution
rhirjohn
Community Member

I'm trying to figure out a way to have a category of assignments that students can pick and choose from.

I use weighted averages (in percentages) with assignment categories.

My goal is to have a category for Enrichment Assignments (extra readings, attending and reflecting on relevant campus events, meeting with a research librarian, etc.) that vary in point values (from 1 to 3 points per assignment), and then students have to complete 10 points worth of assignments in the category to complete the corresponding 10% of the course grade. 

Is there a way to set up this category so that they are not losing points for the ones that they decide not to do, but are getting points for the ones that they do decide to do?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@rhirjohn -

The only way I could think of doing this would be to have each assignment worth 1 point only or 2 points only.  Then have enough assignments that 10 points can be reached.  Then you would know in advance how many not to count and you could drop the x lowest assignments.

For example 15 1 point assignments, drop the 5 lowest.  Or 7 2 point assignments - drop the 2 lowest.

With different point values for the assignments, I do not know of a way to handle it.

View solution in original post