Changing Course end date

Jump to solution
williamp
Community Novice

I want to open up a CANVAS course from Spring 2018 - I know to go to the course and go to Settings but the dates once I'm there are not able to be reset. I have a student who needs to submit work for INC grade.

Changing course dates may override term availability settings and placement in the Courses page and Dashboard. Please confirm term dates before modifying course dates.
Jan 15, 2018 at 12am
Feb 28, 2019 at 12:59am
When selected, the course is inaccessible outside course dates. If the course dates are blank, these start and end dates apply to the term dates.
0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@williamp  

It appears that your local Canvas Administrator has locked down some of the settings so that instructors cannot override them. You will need to coordinate efforts with them.  You have asked this question in a global community of Canvas users and we do not have access to your school's Canvas instance. This is also something that we would not change, even if we could, because it is a local decision.

Your school appears to allow faculty to change dates. The Office of Instructional Design web page about Canvas says this about Spring 2020. 

The most important item in the guide is in regard to your course concluding for students. Many courses are set to enter a “Read Only” mode for students at the end of the day on May 8, 2020. If you are planning on using Canvas to facilitate finals, message students or you wish to continue to collect work from your students, you will need to change your course ending date. through the course settings. Make sure you leave the “Students can only participate …” option checked.

They link to the How do I change the start and end dates for a course?  

At the bottom of the blue notes section at the top, is this page.

Note: You can only change the course end date when your enrollment is active. Course dates cannot be changed once your enrollment has concluded for the course.

Since the course is more than 2 years old, it may be the faculty access to the course has expired. We turn it off for our faculty about 2 months after the course is over.

View solution in original post

0 Likes