Copy a link or download multiple files?

Jump to solution
BarbaraKappler
Community Member

I recorded 3 teaching modules on Sunday (from one Zoom meeting). I understand how to copy the link and paste into Canvas. But I'd like to download and have these for more than 180 days. But each recording is 4-7 files. I'm confused about why there are so many files and which ones to use. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @BarbaraKappler ...

This is purely an assumption on my part (since I cannot see the files you are looking at), but also partly from experience as a former Zoom administrator for a higher ed college in Wisconsin...  Once a Zoom meeting has concluded and the recording is ready, there are usually a few different file types that are generated.  Usually you'll have a *.mp4 file (which is the video recording), and if I recall correctly a *.wma file which is just an audio file of your recording...no video (or it might be *.mp3...I forget).  Then, you'll usually have one or two more files which are transcripts of the recording...such as a *.vtt or *.srt file.  These are the closed captioning files.  I'm not sure if there would be a *.txt file containing the transcript of the recording, though.

Now, do you happen to have Canvas Studio at your school?  If so, there is a way to integrate Zoom and Studio together so that your Zoom recordings go directly over to your Studio library...no extra work on your part.  This does take some initial setup from your school's Canvas administrator, however, and it would apply for everyone at your school...not just you (though I believe there is an option per user to turn the feature on/off after it has been configured).

So, I hope this helps in some way so that you can download your recordings.  Keep us posted on your progress...thanks!

View solution in original post