cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmaxon
Community Member

Creating a Quiz with a Pass/Fail-type threshold?

Jump to solution

I am trying to create a Quiz (not Assignment) that has 10 questions and is either worth 75 points or 0 points at the end of the day. If students get 8 or more correct, they earn 75 points. If they get 7 or fewer correct, they earn 0 points. Unlimited tries to earn the points. Can this be done? Can you walk me through how, if so? Thank you so much!

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kmaxon , unfortunately you can't set this up to happen automatically in Canvas. You can do a graded survey when students would get full credit for even attempting the quiz, or a ungraded quiz (so no points), but otherwise students will get the number of points they earn.

View solution in original post

sbailey
Community Participant

I have this exact question.  I was frustrated to see the answer (no).  Canvas is so much more limited than Blackboard.

kdamm
Community Member

I have needing this for some time now and I came up with a clunky way around it until it becomes available.  I thought I'd pass it on in case someone needed something to work.  It isn't great but it is something to work with.  PLEASE PLEASE let me know if there is something you would do differently or have better ideas.  My class definitely benefits from a pass/no pass system.  Pass it on if it helps.

Kathy Damm

kdamm@saddleback.edu 

Video Tour of how I did it... Making a Canvas quiz pass/no pass - YouTube 

(video was loading at the time of this posting but should be available soon)

Bottom line:

In the quiz, I make each question for "0" points

I make the first question worth the amount I want the "pass" grade to receive.

That first question is just a place holder that I "manually" grade.

To grade quickly, I use speedgrader.  I search for "correct!" because it will give me the count of correct answers.

If the count is at the passing number (e.g., 7 out of 10)

I assign full points to the first "placeholder" question.

I hit enter and click the next student

It is a rapid fire of ... search, enter pts, enter, click next, search, enter pts, enter, click next...

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kmaxon , unfortunately you can't set this up to happen automatically in Canvas. You can do a graded survey when students would get full credit for even attempting the quiz, or a ungraded quiz (so no points), but otherwise students will get the number of points they earn.

sbailey
Community Participant

I have this exact question.  I was frustrated to see the answer (no).  Canvas is so much more limited than Blackboard.

kdamm
Community Member

I have needing this for some time now and I came up with a clunky way around it until it becomes available.  I thought I'd pass it on in case someone needed something to work.  It isn't great but it is something to work with.  PLEASE PLEASE let me know if there is something you would do differently or have better ideas.  My class definitely benefits from a pass/no pass system.  Pass it on if it helps.

Kathy Damm

kdamm@saddleback.edu 

Video Tour of how I did it... Making a Canvas quiz pass/no pass - YouTube 

(video was loading at the time of this posting but should be available soon)

Bottom line:

In the quiz, I make each question for "0" points

I make the first question worth the amount I want the "pass" grade to receive.

That first question is just a place holder that I "manually" grade.

To grade quickly, I use speedgrader.  I search for "correct!" because it will give me the count of correct answers.

If the count is at the passing number (e.g., 7 out of 10)

I assign full points to the first "placeholder" question.

I hit enter and click the next student

It is a rapid fire of ... search, enter pts, enter, click next, search, enter pts, enter, click next...

tlampley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Greetings Fellow-Canvaphiles!

This grading scheme is a common one used for grading.  I also had this question, sparked by an inquiry from one of our faculty members.  

Thankfully, I found something on the web that might--or not--prove useful: https://canvas.psu.edu/2016/04/08/passing-and-failing-in-canvas/ 

Of course, my gratitude goes out to Bill Egan, the author of this webpage for his due-diligence (no plagiarism here) !

Have a SUPER Day!

I love this idea for a solution and I'll probably use it, but I think it would be so much better if it could all be automatic, so I started an idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16482-quiz-with-a-passfail-type-threshold Please go vote for it!