Creating a secondary user account so Canvas admins can take a course

Jump to solution
debbie_ellis
Community Participant

What do you do about users with Canvas admin rights who want to take a course? Obviously, with admin rights they can't take the course as a regular student would, and they can see things they shouldn't see as a student.

I understand that the typical solution is to assign the person a second user account, but the people who would have to implement that would like to know the process other schools use to do this. This is not my area of expertise, but it seems that adding a secondary user account could be a little complicated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @debbie_ellis 

We do create a second user account, specifically labeled as "Admin", and set that account up to use different authentication than the non-admin account.

View solution in original post

BrianLester
Community Contributor

Setting up a separate user account is indeed possible- might require different type of login if say regular login is via institutional Google credentials.

Probably not a concern if you trust your admins but if they are an admin in the account in which they are taking the course they could just visit the course as an admin...

0 Likes
KarlaLamunyon
Community Member

As an admin I have my regular login and then my Admin login is a service account and we add dl (distance learning) to the end of our regular login.  

0 Likes