Creating grid, matrix, or array question types?

Jump to solution
SMB2319
Community Member

I'm sure this is posted somewhere and I'm unable to find it, so appreciate your patience in advance. I have surveys developed in google forms and qualtrics that I need to convert to Canvas quizzes using the "grid" question type, where similar question stems have the same answers (think "Strongly Agree -> Strongly Disagree). The only way I can see to do this with the version of Canvas I have access to is to create separate questions for each statement and repeat the answers each time, which is quite cumbersome. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @SMB2319 …

I think I can visualize what you are trying to do in your Google and Qualtrics surveys, but unfortunately, I don’t think anything like that exists in either current Classic Quizzes or in New Quizzes within Canvas.  You would be correct in that you’d need to create separate questions for each of your questions…and yes, that could be quite cumbersome.  In Classic Quizzes, there is an option to make a quiz a “survey”, but I don’t believe that’s the case with New Quizzes at this time (though if someone knows otherwise or knows of work-arounds, I’d be happy to be wrong).

Sorry this may not be the answer you were looking for, but I hope it has helped to answer your question.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Stringbender
Community Member

@SMB2319 

At this time there is no way to create an array style question as you are describing in Canvas. Although cumbersome, you would need to create each question using the Multiple choice format. 

This would make a great feature request, you can submit a feature request using the guide provided below.

How do idea conversations work in the Instructure Community?

View solution in original post