Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kathy_barnes
Community Member

Disabling a Teacher's Access to Canvas

Jump to solution

Updated

Original Subject Line: How do you disable a teacher's access within one account of Canvas?

I have a teacher that needs to lose access to our account within Canvas. We need to temporarily prevent them from logging into our account of Canvas.

Call it "disabling" them or making them "unavailable" but whatever you call it - I want to prevent their access.

I am not finding information on how to stop their access with the potential of reinstating them and giving them access to all courses again.

By the way, I don't want to delete them because of our need to potentially "reinstate" them in all their courses.

Lastly, I prefer not constructing a CVS file and having to locate the teachers SIS ID to accomplish this function.

I'm hoping it is as easy as selecting a button to "hide" or make this user  ID "unavailable".

Thanks for your suggestions or reference to where I can obtain documentation on how to do this.

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kathy_barnes
Community Member

Thanks for the suggestions for this work around for disabling teacher's access in Canvas.

We can use this method for removing access!

Kathy

View solution in original post

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello kathy.barnes​...

I don't believe there is a button or a link within the Administrative Pages of Canvas to accomplish what you want to do.  However, I recall seeing a work-around from  @kona ​ a long time ago where she had suggested either changing the user's Login ID and/or Password so that he/she cannot log in to Canvas.  If the user needs access down the road, you'd just change the information back to what it was.  Would that solution work for you?

In addition, I wanted to let you know that I am going to slightly modify your subject line of this question as well as tag your message with keywords.  This will help others who have similar questions search for your question easier.  If the revised subject line doesn't reflect the question you are asking, please let me know, and we can work to make any necessary changes.  Hope this is okay with you.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@chofer ​ is correct that we slightly alter people's login/user names when we deactivate them. That way they can't log-in, but if we need to let them back in it's not a big deal to fix. For example, if your instructors login was kjones you could change it to - inactive_kjones - that way when/if you need to change it back you can just remove the inactive_ and you're good to go. In addition, none of the instructors information will be lost.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi kathy.barnes​...

We haven't heard from you in a while, so I wanted to check in to see if my reply and/or  @kona 's would be possible solutions for the question you asked.  Please let us know...thanks!

kathy_barnes
Community Member

Thanks for the suggestions for this work around for disabling teacher's access in Canvas.

We can use this method for removing access!

Kathy

View solution in original post

Hi Kathy,

Just FYI there was a related feature idea, , that gathered 51 votes - not the 100 necessary to guarantee an official response from our Product team.  However, a closely related idea, , received over 200 votes and is currently a high priority for our Product team to get resources to develop.

estradak
Community Participant

There is another suggestion open for voting and is on the "Product Radar":

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7427-disabledeactive-user-at-account-level 

This feature seems like it should be a given option based on needing to deactivate/block users for various reasons, especially in a K-12 setting.

tross
Community Champion

Do wish we had the feature.  We change both the login and the password so they will not be able to login.  We do that for withdrawn students as well.