Documenting Class Observations in the Course -- How to?

Jump to solution
JenniferKelly1
Community Explorer

Our course is hybrid. Class content is taught through Canvas but the instructor goes out to the class participant to complete a teaching observation. Because this is a certification class, there is specific documentation that must be gathered on specific forms. I've been asked if there is a way to make an instructor-facing "portal" to upload the observation data.

My first inclination was to set up an assignment so that each person in the course would have their observation data in the grade book but I am unclear how the instructor would upload that data and we must use the required forms so outcomes or a rubric isn't going to work. 

Additionally, the instructor would like to upload each observation (created by the instructor) video into the course. My initial thoughts here was to have the instructor send the video to the student and the student would then upload it into an assignment; however, they don't like that solution because of extra steps. 

Does anyone have a better idea to try?

Thanks for your time!

~Jenn

0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @JenniferKelly1 

Since it is now possible for instructors to upload a file submission on behalf of a student ( see https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-submit-an-assignment-on-behalf-of-a-stu... ), it seems like creating an assignment would allow the instructor to upload the forms with the data that they have filled out as a submission on behalf of the student.

Likewise, rather than sending the observation video to the student and asking the student to submit it, the instructor could just upload the video on behalf of the student...

We haven't really worked with the "submit on behalf of..." capability much, but for situations where the instructor, not the student, actually has the files, it might do what you need.

View solution in original post