Does importing an assessment in New Quizzes have a limit to the number of questions?

Jump to solution
jcarpenter1
Panda Pros
Panda Pros

I'm working with someone who imported a 90-question quiz in New Quizzes.  However, the students can only see the first 50 questions.  As a teacher, and in preview mode, I can see all 90.  In Speedgrader, they can see all 90 and the last 40 for every student is labeled as incomplete.  

1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

So I just tested this scenario and did not have any problems with a 62 question quiz in Quizzes.NEXT.  The process I used to test this was creating an Old Quiz by using the Find Questions button to pull in 62 questions from an existing question bank (more on that later).  So the questions were not linked to a bank, they were copied in to the quiz.  Then I used the Migrate Quiz option to convert it in a Quizzes.NEXT quiz.  I took the quiz as a test student, and while acting as another student in the course and in both cases everything worked fine with all 62 questions showing and getting scored after taking the quiz (I got a poor score however since I didn't really read the questions ).

I did notice one strange thing in my process though that might be worth noting.  When I was in Old Quizzes using the Find Questions option and had a 62 question back pulled up, I used the Select All option and thought it imported all 62.  But actually only 50 were imported.  

332586_pastedImage_1.png

In order to get all 62 I needed to click the "more questions" link to view any beyond 50 and select them to import.

332587_pastedImage_2.png

I did that and then everything worked find and as expected.  I only point it out because it gives some validity to the idea of there being a "break" or some sort of threshold at 50 questions similar to what you report and what at least one other person in the community has suggested happened https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/39951-new-quizzes-and-number-of-items .

My suggestion is to report it to Canvas support to see if they can track anything else down about this.  While I can't reproduce it it does seem plausible that there is an issue.

Good luck,

Rick

View solution in original post