Download individual course submissions from crosslisted courses

Jump to solution
annespinoza
Community Participant

In Moodle they had a very cool feature I miss dearly and I don't think Canvas has it. So I have cross-listed courses (beginning photo 6th, beginning photo 5th, beginning photo 6th). I need to download submissions for their projects (there are 6 files submitted from each student). I'd like to have them download into folders within their hour. It is a pain when they download into one folder and I have to go through by hand and put them in folders for their hours. I need them on my computer so I can read the meta data for date and size, and other photoshop edits. 

Moodle was awesome for this. Not only did it download folders for each hour, but it downloaded each student's submission into individual folders (although you could turn it off if you just wanted them to all go in the hour folder) AND it would rename each file to add the Assignment name and hour. IT WAS AWESOME! This made my life so much easier! 

I guess my question is, can I get Canvas to at least download submissions into different folders for each section? And if this is not a feature can you add it? If lame old Moodle can do it, so can you! 🙂

Thansk!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@annespinoza -

Thanks for the information.  That would be a great feature to have for Canvas and I can see why you would be disappointed without that feature (after having used it).

I am not aware of any capabilities like that in Canvas.  Someone else will probably add in some information, but my guess is that your request will have to be put in as a feature request.

However, if you know perl, bash or some other scripting language, it would not be too difficult to write a script to take all of your downloaded submissions and sort them into an appropriate class folder and student folder.  Extra work on your part upfront, but after the initial setup you can get the organization you want just by running the script.

View solution in original post

0 Likes