cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aduran

Downloading Student Recoded Media/Videos

Jump to solution

If a student submitted a media recording using Canvas's built-in media recorder option, am I able to download it as an MP4/MOV? Or any other playable video format/codec I can then open with VLC? 

I've tried "Download Submissions" under Related Items within the Assignments section and it will download other media that was recorded from their phone/video camera and then uploaded. However, it will not download any videos they recorded using Canvas's built-in recording option.   

I keep trying to find different ways and I'm having no luck. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Alexis,

I haven't tried this in Speedgrader but I know it works for videos embedded within Canvas so I think it might work for you too.  Best done with Chrome.  

• Click on the video so it opens
  • Click the CC button and select Upload Subtitles
  • Copy the URL listed on the screen and paste it into a new window
  • On this screen click the 3 dots in the lower right corner and select Download (this step is specific to Chrome.  Using a different browser might require you to right click and select download)

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Alexis,

I haven't tried this in Speedgrader but I know it works for videos embedded within Canvas so I think it might work for you too.  Best done with Chrome.  

• Click on the video so it opens
  • Click the CC button and select Upload Subtitles
  • Copy the URL listed on the screen and paste it into a new window
  • On this screen click the 3 dots in the lower right corner and select Download (this step is specific to Chrome.  Using a different browser might require you to right click and select download)

Rick

0 Kudos
aduran

Rick, that worked flawlessly! Thank you!

I greatly appreciate your promptness and detailed response. 

Alexis 

0 Kudos
ktraynor

Hi, I'm having the same issue as the OP, and cannot see a CC button on the video, in either Chrome or Edge. There is only duration, volume, settings and full screen in the bottom right of the video? 

I have also tried another workaround I found, to right-click on the video while it's playing, then save as... but this only gives me the option to save as html - not any video format. 

Any advice appreciated!

0 Kudos

I am also dealing with the same issues and no solution. Have you figured anything out?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
ktraynor

Hi @JamieCyphers sadly not, for videos already submitted using the Studio tab, I've resorted to screen recording those I need, a very frustrating process! 

For future submissions, you can ask students to permit downloading by checking the Display Download Option toggle button in the Select Embed Options section (see https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Studio/How-do-I-submit-Canvas-Studio-media-as-a-File-Upload-assig...) Of course this is then dependent on students following that instruction... 

It would be super helpful if @Canvas would enable tutor download of student Studio videos by default, as it does with videos submitted via the File Uploads tab... 

Thanks @ktraynor. I will put that in the assignment instructions moving forward.  

0 Kudos