Drag and drop files works from within some modules but not in others in the same canvas course. Why?

jorossi
Community Member

I'm putting a new Canvas course together.  Because of the idiotic non-inclusion of sub-folders in Canvas Modules, I have an enormous number of modules set up in my course.  Because my slide narrations are sometimes spoken quickly, I decided to offer MP3 files for each individual slide of every Chapter lecture so my students can change the playback speed.  Every thing went well until I started adding the MP3-containing Modules. For the first MP3 set for the first module (i.e., "Introduction MP3s"), I collectively dragged and dropped the 16 MP3 files into the Module from the "+"- "Files" pull-down.  Of course, since Canvas is unable to order by whole number value (kinda like Windows 95), the files go into the Module in most-significant digits order (e.g., 11, 12, 13, 14, 1, 21, 20, 21, etc).  For that "Introduction" module, I WAS able to rearrange the files using drag and drop as usual.  When I tried to repeat that process for "Chapter 1a MP3s" (and Chapter 1b, and Chapter 2a), drag and drop wouldn't work.  I tried removing the files and re-adding them and it still didn't work.  After testing other solutions (e.g., not moving the newly created module before adding the files, clicking on "return" after giving the module name and many other potential superstitious behaviors, etc), I tried adding them to the module, one file at a time.  That worked, but there are 26 sub-chapters, each with its own MP3 module, and some of the chapters contain in excess of 26 PowerPoint slides.  It's bad enough to be forced to use drag and drop to rearrange them into correct numerical sequence, but it is taking me about 10min per sub-chapter to load them one-by-one.  Also, I checked the other modules, and everything seems to drag and drop correctly in them.  Does drag-and-drop stop working after some number of Modules are created?  That seems ridiculous, but this is Canvas, after all!

Labels (3)
0 Likes