cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
courtney_s_cour
Community Member

Embedding a PowerPoint in a page

I've figured out how to embed a Power Point into a Canvas page, but when I come back the next day, I get this message: 346308_pastedImage_1.png

Any ideas on how to fix this? I want to make sure my students can view the ppt. with hyperlinks that work. The hyperlinks don't work in the preview mode.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
djackson
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @courtney_s_cour ‌,

Thank you for submitting your question! There are a few ways to do this depending on the features your school has enabled for your Canvas account. Here are some steps you can try:

• Open your presentation in Google Slides
  • Click on the menu item File, Publish to the web
  • Click on the Publish button.
  • Under link, select and copy the URL that is displayed.
  • Now in Canvas paste that URL where you are supposed to submit it. This should work for an assignment or a discussion in Canvas since the presentation has been Published; anyone with the link will be able to view it.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Danielle

Shar
Community Champion

Hi Courtney Courtemanche,

Another option is to convert your PPT to (accessible) PDF and post that instead. The hyperlinks on the slide will still work. This may be easier so that you know users are not changing the message in your PPT.

Quick tips on accessible PDF:

1. Make sure every slide has a unique title, even if it's Amps, more on Amps, or Amps pt2, Amps pt3
  2. Go into the document properties and make sure your Presentation has a title.. Otherwise the PDF will just have a title of PowerPoint Presentation.
  3. Add alt text to any images or mark them as decorative
  4. Hyperlink text rather than using the whole URL as the link

And if you have more time:

• Separate animated/build slides into separate slides
  • Add text box with what you'd say for slides heavy on images
  • Check the arrange order on each slide, the bottom most item/layer is read first by a screen reader.

Stay home, stay healthy,
Cheers - Shar

karen_bowden
Community Participant

You don't need to save it outside Canvas:

Solution without resorting to Google or OneDrive or O365 is to:

1. Insert the file.

2. Select the file link.

3. Select Link options.

4. Automatically open in-line preview.

linkoptions.jpg