Enabling a rubric for grading

Jump to solution
leigh-anne_hepb
Community Member

Can I enable a rubric for grading once I've already used it in speedgrader?  And where do I find the check box?  All my grades have been entered in speedgrader but not copying through to the marks page.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @leigh-anne_hepb  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  This is a rather annoying thing, when re-using a rubric, that the specific checkbox for using the rubric for grading does not "stick."  A similar question was answered recently here: Enabling a rubric for grading .  Basically, you want to re-edit the rubric for that assignment,  but you can safely ignore the warning that Canvas tosses at you that you cannot edit a rubric already used.  You are technically not editing the rubric itself, but rather only an option that appears beneath it.  Namely, the option to Use this rubric for assignment grading.  Unfortunately, however, doing this after the fact will not help you with a current assignment if you have already started manually inputting scores/comments into the rubric.  You will have to manually input the grades, I'm afraid.  But you will want to keep this in mind for the future!

Also, I encourage you to vote "up" a Feature Idea that I found when assisting a faculty at my own institution who had this same issue occur:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14910-default-to-use-this-rubric-for-assignment-grading .  It is a vote to just have that checkbox enabled by default so folks don't have to go through this each time they forget to enable it.

Hope this helps a bit, Leigh-Anne.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Hi @HR_Lacy,

Ahh it's a quiz, I may have missed that part earlier!  As far as I know, the grading option of a rubric won't show up in classic quizzes because quizzes are graded by question (each question needs to have points given in SpeedGrader) and the rubric is an overall/mastery type thing for the whole quiz.  That may be something guides should call out in more places, but I'm 99% sure what you're seeing is the intended behavior.

-Chris

View solution in original post