cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FinnyASLJen
Community Member

Error Message

Jump to solution

Does anyone get the error message: "Something went wrong accessing your mic or webcam". When I record my video (it works fine) but when I am ready to send the video message or give feedback, I get the error message.  My IT and I have been trying to figure this out why I am having an issue.. I use Mac and Chrome (Google) --Let me know Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks to everyone who has participated and assisted in this thread; because of your generous contributions, we were able to pinpoint the specific issue that was affecting some users. Please subscribe to the Known Issues document  Unable to record media with Record/Upload Media to... to stay on top of the progress toward resolution.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@FinnyASLJen  I just worked with someone yesterday on what sounds like the same issue but ultimately we weren't able to find the source of the issue. Please work through the troubleshooting steps (clearing cache, clearing cookies, trying another browser) described in  What are the browser and computer requirements for... —and if that doesn't resolve the issue, would you ask your IT Team to escalate your case to Canvas Support?  Thanks!

JenniferAdmin
Community Participant

@FinnyASLJen , what kind of computer do you have?

@Stefanie , I'm beginning to think that is has something to do with an update to Chrome. My colleague has an almost identical computer to mine (Mac desktop). I updated my OS to be like hers (Big Sur). I have a slightly newer version, but I still get the error message. We checked our Mac preferences and Chrome settings and they are identical. I have Chrome iVersion 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) (x86_64).  She has version 91 (something-sorry I didn't write it down. I'll update this as soon as I know exactly.)

I have reported the issue to Google.

I now have students reporting this issue. I will try to collect data for you and post here in the Community.

JenniferAdmin
Community Participant

My colleague who is able to record video in Canvas has version 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build)(x86-64).

Thank you for this investigative work, @JenniferAdmin ! It's possible that a recent update to Chrome has caused something to go awry, and sending tickets to Canvas Support is the fastest way to get this resolved.

JenniferAdmin
Community Participant

@Stefanie I have also submitted a ticket with Google.

Hello everyone! I am using MAC   I decided not to uses google chrome as it was not working with sending video messages with feedbacks.   I use firefox and it is working now.  Someone mentioned about upgraded IOS system or Google Chrome update that does not recognize Canvas... It is weird and frustrating but It is ok for now as I am not used to Firefox ;-(

AWESOME!! Thank you for letting me know... Many students are complaining about this too! I told them to report it to Google.

@FinnyASLJen , I haven't used Firefox for ages. I'll give that a try as a workaround. (After months of beating it into my students that they should be using Chrome, sigh.)

I have asked students who are having this issue to tell me which version of Chrome they're using. So far it's only the students using the 92.0.4515.131 version who are experiencing the problem. This version was released just before this all started.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks to everyone who has participated and assisted in this thread; because of your generous contributions, we were able to pinpoint the specific issue that was affecting some users. Please subscribe to the Known Issues document  Unable to record media with Record/Upload Media to... to stay on top of the progress toward resolution.

View solution in original post