Faculty graders

Jump to solution
debra_schindler
Community Member

Our learning community faculty are assigned to grade groups of student assignments (10 students in a group). Is there any way for Canvas to notify individual faculty that a student in their group has submitted their assignment for grading?

0 Likes
3 Solutions
nwilson7
Community Champion

@debra_schindler That is sort of a trick question.  The short answer is yes, you can turn on the "submissions" notifications in the course notification area which is accessed on the course homepage.  This is off by default so you don't get inundated with notifications (made that mistake for a class of 140).  The cruz though is it is all submissions, not just the members of the group.  The only way that I think would work is if each group is its own section in Canvas and then when you add the graders, you set it where they can only interact with their section.  I have not tested to see if this would impact the notifications for submissions but if the students are part of just one section I know each grader will get notified about every submission.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nwilson7
Community Champion

@debra_schindler I think if you then just turn on the notification setting within the course notification area for "submissions" it should only notify them on their section of students since they are not supposed to know about "users in other sections".

-Nick

0 Likes
Steph_T
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello @debra_schindler 

There is not a way to do this by Groups unfortunately. Nwilson7 was correct when they mentioned those groups would need to be added into Sections, otherwise you'll receive notifications about All submissions made. 

If you restrict the instructor to only that section, they will only receive those notifications. Our guide for How do I limit a user to only interact with other users in the same course section? will walk you through how to restrict the instructor per section. 

0 Likes