cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhusted
Community Member

File Upload grading in Quizzes

I'd like to have students take a picture of their work to submit for an answer for a quiz.  I have found that there is a "file upload" option for a quiz question, however, the grading side becomes an issue.  When I go into the speedgrader to grade the quiz, I have to download each file to grade what the student has submitted.  I find this odd because if a student submits an "assignment" that includes a file upload, I see an preview of that file right away on the page and do not need to download a file to grade each student response.  Is there a way to have the same view of the student file in speedgrader?

43 Replies
bhusted
Community Member

My workaround has been to use "New Quizzes".  Instead of using file upload, as the question type, select "essay".  This gives the students the rich text editor for which they can select the upload photo icon.  On the teacher side of things, each photo will be rendered in separate boxes on the page and you can scroll through and grade each of the questions and add feedback.  I hope this helps someone.

pcritten
Community Participant

Not sure why this is marked as solved.  It is not.

gramos
Community Participant

@bhusted, can you annotate on the picture? 

bhusted
Community Member

No annotation on the picture, so when I need to I will write out work and post a picture of my response in the comment feedback for that question.

gramos
Community Participant

@bhusted thanks.

turnermz
Community Participant

I find it odd that this question is marked as solved.

It isn't. The 'solution' - submitting the file to a seperate assignment is a poor work around. The real solution is to allow file uploads to quiz questions to be previewed and annotated in speedgrader. Simple.

The time limit feature in quizzes is a key driver for using quizzes for file upload. Using a quiz for a file upload is already, for some, a workaround of the lack of a time limit feature in assignments. Making assignments work with time limits or quizzes preview and annotate file uploads in speedgrader would be a massive step forward.

Yeah this is not a solution. My annoyance and frustration with Canvas grows every day. 

amandasartor
Community Member

I was hoping to find a better solution from this thread but it seems like there isn't one yet.  My quizzes are not timed or proctored so this suggestion may not work for all.  I have a quiz and a separate assignment for zero points to upload a pdf document.  I open both in individual windows at the same time and grade the two along side of each other.   I don't count the upload in the grade but can adjust the points on the quiz if the work is not correct.  I hope a better solution comes soon. 

pcritten
Community Participant

Why is this marked as solved?  It most certainly is not.

pcritten
Community Participant

Why has this been flagged as solved?  You have not solved it.